Michigan Voices: Hiring Data Associate
Michigan Voices is seeking a Data Associate. The Data Associate will primarily support table partners with VAN (Voter Activation Network) administration, basic training, and technical assistance to implement their voter engagement work, including advising on the use of voter contact tools. This position will work under the direction of the Michigan Voice Data Manager. The Data Associate will report to the Director of Field Strategies and Data, Lindsay Maas.
● Administer VAN (Voter Activation Network) for partner organizations and their consultants. This includes managing user and security settings, providing technical assistance, and monitoring the use of the system to ensure compliance with state and national policies. Some examples of VAN work include but are not limited to creating basic lists, creating survey questions and activist codes, creating scripts, setting up phone banks, cutting turf, bulk uploading data, etc. Note: State Voices offers basic and advanced VAN Training to all data staff.
● Advise partner organizations on using voter contact tools and assist them in integrating appropriate voter contact and data tools into their engagement programs.
● Support partner organizations in using civic engagement and voter contact tools and assist them in assessing and implementing data integration into programs.
● Function as part of a national data team to build and maintain the shared state and national data infrastructure necessary to support partner program work. This includes, but is not limited to, required weekly data calls, biweekly calls with respective Deputy Director of Data & Technology, attendance of convening needed, etc.
● Provide basic VAN training both in-person and remote.
● Improve network partners’ data through list matching and providing training on better data hygiene and data collection practices.
● Participate in national working groups with other data staff to develop national standards and best practices. Including but not limited to required weekly data calls, biweekly calls with respective Deputy Director of Data & Technology, attendance of convening needed, etc.
● Must complete series of required training by State Voices.
● Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
● At least one previous political, nonprofit, labor, or community organization cycle, either paid or unpaid.
● Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a high level of detail orientation and meeting deadlines.
● Sound judgment and critical thinking skills.
● Strong oral and written communication skills.
● Ability to work with a broad range of people possessing different skill levels.
● Must be able to work professionally and communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization and external contacts, constituents, and vendors.
● Experience working in coalition with partners or experience working in diverse communities, particularly in communities of color.
● Candidates must have a willingness and aptitude to seek out and learn new technical skills that will further the mission of the table and assist in presenting data to partners in an accessible manner.
● Background in 501c3 work or the desire to work with progressive organizations.
● Must be organized and able to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and deadlines.
● Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
● Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity and record of success working with communities of color, women, low-income people, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically marginalized communities.
● Commitment to approaching the work in an inclusive and empathetic way.
● A plus is experience with the VAN (Voter Activation Network)/VoteBuilder or other civic engagement platforms.
● Experience with Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets is a plus.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Compensation is $42,000 - $50,000. Michigan Voices offers a full medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, and a life insurance compensation package. We also offer a reasonable time off policy with paid vacation, sick time, and a gender-neutral parental leave
policy. This position ends on March 31, 2023
Please send your resume, a cover letter, and three references to email@example.com with Data Associate Job in the subject line. The deadline for this job posting is April 15, 2022, but resumes will be reviewed and interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
A Note to BIPOC Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, nonbinary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may come from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.